British & Irish Cup: Jersey Reds 36-20 Cornish Pirates

Jersey Reds v Cornish Pirates
Jersey's forwards had the upper hand at scrum time, in the second meeting between the sides in six days

Jersey booked a spot in the British & Irish Cup semi-finals for the second season in a row thanks to a dominant display against Cornish Pirates.

The Reds were 21-6 ahead by half-time after Nick Scott's score and a penalty try helping them get on top.

Scrum-half Joel Dudley and his replacement Sami Fisilau both went over after the break to secure the victory for the hosts.

Pirates captain Tom Duncan and Paul Andrew grabbed late consolation tries.

The game was the second clash between the sides in less than a week, after Jersey's narrow win in Penzance in the Championship on Sunday.

Will Cargill's boot put the visitors ahead in the opening minutes but the Reds dominated in the forwards and were soon ahead when winger Scott was found in space on the left and crossed in the corner.

Cargill's penalty narrowed the deficit but a penalty-try after a series of scrums near the line gave the islanders the healthy half-time advantage.

Dudley, later to be named man-of-the-match, snuck in down the blindside of a scrum to further extend the Jersey lead before Tongan international Fisilau went over for a converted score to make it 36-6 and put the result beyond doubt.

Pirates rallied late on though, as first Duncan and then Andrew touched-down from close range, but it was nowhere near enough to prevent the Reds going through to the last four.

Reds head coach Harvey Biljon told BBC Radio Jersey: "It doesn't matter if you win by one point or win by 16 points, in a quarter-final it's about getting through to the next round.

"The players spoke about getting off to a good start and making sure they could build on a lead and they absolutely did that tonight.

"The energy throughout, both in attack and defence, was massive."

Pirates player-coach Alan Paver told BBC Radio Jersey: "If you look at the game there was only one winner [Jersey] and deservedly so.

"I felt Jersey came out with a spring in their step and a dominance in the set-piece and they carried that through.

"We just kept going and it was lovely to get those two tries at the end but when you look at the whole 80 minutes we were outplayed."

Cornish Pirates: May; O'Meara, De Battista, Bartlett, Moyle; Cargill, Day; Walker, Innard, Andrew, Parker, Beukeboom, Cheesman, Stevens, Duncan (capt).

Replacements: Andrew, Chapman, Paver, Lee, Pope, May, Arnott.

Jersey Reds: Cuthbert; Watkins, Davies, Ma'afu, Scott; Sheedy, Dudley; Woolmore, Macfarlane, Kerrod, Phillips, Voss, Freeman (capt), Graham, Haining.

Replacements: Selway, Tampin, Armstrong, Kolo'ofa'i, Argyle, Fisilau, Robling.

Referee: Jack Makepeace.

Attendance: 1,515.

For the latest rugby union news follow @bbcrugbyunion on Twitter.

Top Stories