Pro14: Ulster 24-17 Munster

Media playback is not supported on this device

Pro14 highlights: Ulster fight back to defeat Munster in Belfast
Guinness Pro14: Ulster v Munster
Ulster (0) 24
Tries: Cave, Gilroy 2, Lyttle Con: Cooney 2
Munster (17) 17
Tries: N Scannell 2, Penalty try

Ulster staged a remarkable comeback to beat Munster who played the final 21 minutes with 14 men after Sam Arnold was red-carded for a high tackle.

Munster bossed the first half and led 17-0 after two drive-over touchdowns by hooker Niall Scanell and a penalty try.

Centre Darren Cave dived to give Ulster a 58th-minute lifeline, followed by the dismissal of Munster centre Arnold for a challenge on Christian Lealiifano .

Winger Craig Gilroy scored two tries before Rob Lyttle's bonus-point score.

Ulster remain third in Conference B and are six points behind second-placed Leinster who they play next in Dublin on Saturday.

After a fifth Pro14 defeat of the season, Munster are second in Conference B - 15 points behind Glasgow.

Having conceded six tries against Connacht in a nightmare display in Galway nine days earlier, Ulster were under pressure to produce an improved display.

But the concession of a series of penalties had them on the back foot for most of the first half.

Ulster winger Craig Gilroy
Winger Craig Gilroy scored two tries as Ulster staged a comeback in the second half

The Munster pack looked dominant in the early stages and the visitors turned down a kickable penalty in favour of a line-out.

The decision was rewarded when Scannell was driven over for a 14th-minute try from the maul.

Munster repeated the same tactic 11 minutes later and again Scannell scored an unconverted try.

Ulster's problems deepened when another Munster surge saw a penalty try being awarded five minutes before the break.

There appeared to be hope for Ulster early in the second half when scrum-half John Cooney darted through for what looked like a much-needed try but referee Sean Gallagher immediately sought a video review for possible obstruction.

That led to the try being wiped out as Gallagher decided a Munster man had been unfairly prevented from making a challenge.

Sam Arnold was red-carded for a hit on Christian Lealiifano
Sam Arnold was red-carded for a hit on Christian Lealiifano

But the first home try did arrive in the 58th minute when centre Cave broke through to touch down just to the left of the posts and Cooney converted to cut the deficit to 10.

The red card tackle by former Ulster player Arnold happened in the build-up to that try and, after lengthy replay views, referee Gallagher deemed it high, late and to the head.

With replacement lock Fineen Wycherley having picked up a yellow card, Munster were down to 13 players for five minutes.

During that spell Gilroy finished superbly from Cave's kick to the right to leave it 17-12.

Lealiifano's floated set up Gilroy to score again on 74 minutes and Cooney landed a brilliant touchline conversion to give his side the lead for the first time at 19-17.

Lyttle ran through to score on the last play of the game to give Ulster a bonus point which had looked extremely unlikely 40 minutes earlier.

Ulster: Piutau; Gilroy, Cave, McCloskey, Lyttle; Lealiifano, Cooney; McCall, Herring (capt), Ah You; O'Connor, Treadwell; Jones, Timoney, Deysel.

Replacements: McBurney, Black, Herbst, Diack, Rea, P Marshall, McPhillips, Trimble.

Munster: Zebo; Nash, Earls, Arnold, Wootton; Hanrahan, Williams; Cronin, N Scannell, Ryan; O'Shea, Holland (capt); O'Donnell, Cloete, O'Donoghue.

Replacements: O'Byrne, Loughman, Archer, Wycherley, Copeland, Hart, Johnston, R O'Mahony.

Top Stories