Pro14: Ulster 16-17 Edinburgh

Media playback is not supported on this device

Highlights: Ulster 16-17 Edinburgh
Pro14: Ulster v Edinburgh
Ulster (7) 16
Try: Cooney Con: Cooney Pens: Cooney 3
Edinburgh (7) 17
Tries: Harries, Carmichael Cons: Hidalgo-Clyne 2 Drop-goal: Weir

Edinburgh moved above Ulster into third place in Conference B of the Pro14 as a last-gasp drop-goal from Duncan Weir gave them a dramatic win in Belfast.

Scrum-half John Cooney scored all of Ulster's 16 points, including a first-half try which helped his side go in level at 7-7 at the break.

Jason Harries scored for Edinburgh in the first half and Lewis Carmichael touched down in the second.

With Ulster leading by a point, Weir's injury-time intervention was decisive.

It was a fiercely contested encounter throughout at Kingspan Stadium between two teams who look to be battling for the final end-of-season play-off place in Conference B behind Leinster and Scarlets.

A rejuvenated Edinburgh arrived on the back of an impressive bonus-point win over Leinster last week and now head Ulster on the basis of having won more games, both sides standing on 46 points.

The sides will meet again at Myreside in early April in what looks likely to be another crucial game to secure a likely play-off away to second-placed Conference A side Munster in May.

Ulster suffered an early setback when they lost winger Craig Gilroy to injury but Cooney completed a fine passing move by the hosts in the eighth minute by diving over for the opening score, before adding the extras himself.

Edinburgh flanker Bill Mata twice went close to crossing the whitewash - referee Nigel Owens ruling that he had a foot in touch before touching down in the corner and then Nick Timoney doing well to get his hand under the ball as Mata attempted to dot down under the posts.

Sam Hidalgo-Clyne broke clear and executed a perfectly weighted left-foot kick into the path of Harries, who showed good pace to run in his side's first try in the 34th minute, Hidalgo-Clyne converting.

An outstanding tackle by Luke Marshall helped ensure that his side went in level at the interval, while Ulster's injury woes worsened further when fly-half Johnny McPhillips was forced to retire with a shoulder problem.

Two penalties from Cooney saw the home side go six points clear but in the 63rd minute second row Carmichael shrugged off a couple of attempted tackles and barged over for his side's second try.

Hidalgo-Clyne converted, but Cooney responded with a penalty soon after, before replacement Weir had the final say with the last kick of the game.

Ulster had the consolation of a bonus point but now face a testing trip to Wales to play the Scarlets next Saturday, while Edinburgh are away to the Dragons on Friday.

Ulster: Ludik; Gilroy, Marshall, McCloskey, Bowe; McPhillips, Cooney; Warwick, Herring, Herbst; O'Connor (capt), Treadwell; Rea, Timoney, Deysel.

Replacements: Andrew, McCall, Ah You, Dalton, Henry, Stewart, Cave, Busby.

Edinburgh: Fife; Harries, Bennett, Dean, Van Der Merwe; Van Der Walt, Hidalgo-Clyne; Lay, Cochrane, McCallum; McKenzie (capt), Carmichael; Mata, Hardie, Du Preez.

Replacements: Fenton, Sutherland, Millar Mills, Bradbury, Crosbie, Fowles, Weir, Bryce

Top Stories