Pro14: Benetton 19-22 Connacht

Connacht centre Thomas Farrell makes ground at Stadio Monigo
Connacht centre Thomas Farrell makes ground at Stadio Monigo
Benetton (7) 19
Tries: Tebaldi, Ioane, Fuser Con: Banks 2
Connacht (0) 22
Tries: Bealham, Butler, Griffin Cons: Carty 2 Pen: Carty

Connacht came from behind to beat Benetton 22-12 in Stadio Monigo and end the Italian side's five-match winning streak in the Pro14.

A Tito Tebaldi try helped the hosts to a 7-0 half-time lead, with wing Monty Ioane crossing in the second half.

Finlay Bealham and Jarrad Butler touched down to put Connacht ahead and Eoin Griffin scored after Tommaso Iannone was yellow-carded.

Marco Fuser's late try clinched a losing bonus point for the home side.

Despite the win, Connacht remain fifth in Conference A, one point behind Cardiff Blues.

The Blues are away to Zebre on Sunday, while Connacht's next fixture is away to the Cheetahs in South Africa next Saturday.

The Irish province lost to Zebre last time out and found themselves seven points behind at half-time to their opponents, who are fifth in Conference B.

Matt Healy produced an outstanding try-saving tackle to take winger Luca Sperandio into touch as he was about to ground the ball in the corner.

After a scoreless first 35 minutes, scrum-half Tebaldi picked up the ball from the back of a rolling maul after a lineout and darted over the line from a few yards out, Marty Banks adding the conversion.

Tebaldi was injured in the course of scoring and was replaced by Giorgio Bronzini.

Three minutes after the interval the visitors mauled across the line and prop Finlay Bealham managed to rumble over for his team's opening try.

Midway through the second period Ioane extended the home side's lead when he collected a cross field kick from Banks and showed pace to race down the left wing and dot down in the corner.

Soon after, Butler took a pass from Cian Kelleher and powered his way across the line, Carty adding the extras to bring his side level at 12-12.

Iannone was yellow-carded for having been adjudged to have tackled Tom Farrell in a dangerous manner, with Carty's resulting penalty nudging Connacht ahead for the first time.

With seven minutes remaining, Griffin drove over after Matt Healy made ground and Carty kicked the additional two points to put the game beyond the home side despite Marco Fuser's try in the final play of the game.

Benetton: L Sperandio, A Bronzini, T Iannone, L Morisi, M Ioane, M Banks, T Tebaldi, W Douglas, M Barbini, A Sgarbi (capt), I Herbst, M Lazzaroni, M Zanusso, T Baravalle, F Zani.

Replacements: H Faiva, R Brugnara, C Traore, M Fuser, N Manu, G Bronzini, M Zanon, M Tagicakibau.

Connacht: T O'Halloran, C Kelleher, E Griffin, T Farrell, M Healy, J Carty, C Blade, D Buckley, T McCartney, F Bealham, G Thornbury, J Cannon, S O'Brien, J Butler, J Muldoon (capt).

Replacements: D Heffernan, D Coulson, D Robertson-McCoy, U Dillane, E masterson, J Mitchell, C Ronaldson, N Adeolokun.

Top Stories