Pro14: Leinster maintain perfect start with commanding 40-14 victory over Edinburgh in Dublin

Leinster scored six tries in another commanding performance at the RDS Arena
Leinster scored six tries in another commanding performance at the RDS Arena
Pro14: Leinster 40-14 Edinburgh
Leinster (5) 40
Tries: Gibson-Park, Bent, Doris, Penny, Milne, Osborne Cons: Byrne 5
Edinburgh (7) 14
Tries: Farndale, Shiels Cons: Van der Walt, Hickey

Six-try Leinster continued their perfect start to the Pro14 season with a bonus-point 40-14 victory over Edinburgh at the RDS Arena in Dublin.

Jamison Gibson-Park carried over first for the champions before the Scots hit back through Jamie Farndale.

Leinster re-took the lead thanks to Michael Bent's try on the stroke of half-time.

Caelan Doris, Scott Penny, Michael Milne and Rowan Osborne added scores before Charlie Shiel's consolation.

Having dominated territory early on, Leinster were denied a seventh-minute try when Penny carried over following a lineout maul only for referee Ben Whitehouse to rule it out for obstruction following a review with TMO Sean Brickell.

But the hosts weren't to be denied a second time, as Gibson-Park applied the finishing touch after Hugo Keenan had released the returning Dave Kearney down the right flank.

After ruling out a potential knock-on from James Lowe, Whitehouse awarded the try. Ross Byrne, who struggled with the windy conditions, missed the conversion.

However, Edinburgh showed plenty of resilience and hit back with a well-worked try by Farndale, which resulted in a yellow card for Joe Tomane after his knee connected with the Edinburgh winger's upper thigh.

Leinster followed up victories over Benetton and Ospreys by beating Edinburgh
Leinster followed up victories over Benetton and Ospreys by beating Edinburgh

With Michael Bent having already been sent to the bin, Tomane's yellow reduced Leinster to 13 men.

Jaco Van der Walt converted to give the visitors the lead just after the half-hour mark.

In a rousing end to the first half, Bent re-entered the game to score Leinster's second try deep into stoppage time and swing momentum back in the Irish side's favour.

Byrne kicked into touch and the Leinster pressure paid dividends as Bent charged over the line to restore their lead just before the interval.

Leinster punish Edinburgh with impressive second-half display

Leinster made a flying start to the second half, with Caelan Doris driving over the home team's third try before Penny secured the bonus-point victory.

Edinburgh struggled with the pace and power in the Leinster forward line and were punished as Michael Milne scored his second successive try at the RDS.

James O'Brien then carved through the the visitors' defence before finding Lowe, whose quick offload freed Rowan Osborne to score the game's standout try - and his first for the province.

Edinburgh replacement scrum-half Shiel gave the away side an outside chance of clinching a bonus point with a try converted by Simon Hickey, but it proved the last score.

Leinster: H Keenan; D Kearney, R O'Loughlin, J Tomane, J Lowe; R Byrne, J Gibson-Park; P Dooley, R Kelleher, M Bent; D Toner, S Fardy (capt); M Deegan, S Penny, C Doris.

Replacements: J Tracy, M Milne, V Abdaladze, R Molony, J Murphy, R Osborne, H Byrne, J O'Brien.

Edinburgh: D Hoyland; J Farndale, M Bennett, G Taylor, D van der Merwe; J van der Walt, N Groom; P Schoeman, M Willemse, P Ceccarelli; J Hodgson, M Douglas; M Kunavula, L Crosbie, N Haining.

Replacements: C Fenton, J Bhatti, M McCallum, S Thomson, A Miller, C Shiel, Sickey, J Johnstone.

Referee: Ben Whitehouse (Wales)

Assistant referee: George Clancy (Ireland), AR2: Wayne Davies (Wales)

TMO: Sean Brickell (Wales)

Top Stories