Pro14: Ospreys 24-20 Benetton Rugby

Sam Parry goes over for his third try
Sam Parry goes over for his third try as Ospreys beat Benetton
Guinness Pro14: Ospreys v Benetton Rugby
Ospreys (17) 24
Tries: Parry 3, S Williams Cons: L Price
Benetton (6) 20
Tries: Rizzi, Sarto Cons: Rizzi Pens: Keatley 2

Ospreys eased to a first Pro14 win as they overcame 14-man Benetton 24-20, with hooker Sam Parry scoring a try hat-trick.

Parry crashed over each time from short range while Scott Williams crossed for the other home try.

The visitors had flanker Marco Lazzaroni sent off for a high and late hit after 11 minutes.

Late tries from Antonio Rizzi and Leonardo Sarto earned them an unlikely bonus point.

The win was welcome relief for Ospreys after two heavy defeats in Ireland, with a trip to Munster to come.

Their only concern was the early departure of wings Luke Morgan, who limped off after just seven minutes, and Keelan Giles, who was helped off looking groggy, also in the first quarter.

Both sides dug deep into their squads with the hosts listing 18 players on World Cup duty or injured, while the Treviso-based team reported 25 absentees.

Ian Keatley landed an early penalty for Benetton, but their cause suffered a huge setback when four-times capped Lazzaroni hit Luke Price high with his shoulder after he had passed the ball, prompting Irish referee Frank Murphy to show the red card.

The resulting penalty kick to the corner saw Parry crash over from the line-out in the rain, and after Keatley's second penalty, the hooker scored another short-range effort after 23 minutes.

Scott Williams outflanked the stretched Italian defence on the half-hour for Ospreys' third try, Price converting for a 17-6 half-time advantage.

The game was over as a contest when Parry completed his hat-trick under another pile of bodies to earn a bonus point after 43 minutes, achieving a feat no other Ospreys forward has managed for the second time in his career.

Price converted before the match petered out as a spectacle, not helped by heavy showers, and yellow cards for Scott Williams and Olly Cracknell.

Benetton replacement Rizzi scored and converted a consolation try after 77 minutes, while the last move of the game saw Sarto cross and Rizzi convert to give the scoreline a flattering look for the visitors and allow them a consolation point.

Man of the match Sam Parry told BBC Sport Wales:

"I can't take much credit because the boys in front of me put a real shift in there and there's been a big emphasis for us on making sure we've got a really strong driving maul. In not very nice weather it was crucial for us, and good to get some rewards.

"I've got a pretty easy job at the back (of the maul), I've just been fortunate enough to do it (the hat-trick) twice.

"It's been tough, going away to two Irish teams and we probably haven't done ourselves justice so it was just important to get the win and it didn't matter how it came, so we're really happy to get our season up and running.

"We want to get a good reputation as a forward pack, we're going in the right direction and looking forward to the Munster game which will be a big test."

Ospreys: C Evans; L Morgan, S Williams, Thomas-Wheeler, Giles; L Price, Aubrey; R Jones, Parry, Botha, Lydiate (capt), Ashley, Cracknell, Cross, G Evans

Replacements: Otten, G Thomas, Gajion, W Griffiths, Baker, Morgan-Williams, T Williams, Dirksen

Benetton: Sperandio; Sarto, Brex, Sgarbi (capt), Ioane; Keatley, Petrozzi; Traore, Makelara, Parri, Cannone, Fuser, Lazzaroni, Pettinelli, Halafihi.

Replacements: Baravalle, Borean, Alongi, Manni, Trussardi, McKinley, Rizzi, Riera.

Referee: Frank Murphy (IRFU)

Assistant referees: Gwyn Morris (WRU), Simon Rees (WRU)

TMO: Olly Hodges (IRFU)

Top Stories