Newtonmore 4-3 Kingussie

Newtonmore v Kingussie
Newtonmore won dramatically over their Badenoch rivals

A dramatic injury-time winner from Danny MacRae ended Newtonmore's 25-year wait for the Camanachd Cup.

Hat-trick hero MacRae struck in the last five minutes of the final period of extra-time to seal victory over their fierce local rivals Kingussie.

He had opened the scoring with Steven MacDonald doubling the lead, Fraser Munro then countering for Kingussie.

MacRae extended 'More's lead before Martin Dallas and Ronald Ross strikes took the match into extra-time.

While Newtonmore were desperate to end their quarter-century wait for shinty's premier trophy, Kingussie also had a point to prove after losing to Fort William in last year's final.

However it was the blue and white half of Badenoch who got off to a flying start with MacRae slotting a low shot from a tight angle past Kingussie keeper Andrew Borthwick after only 13 seconds.

The only quicker score in a Camanachd Cup final was by Derek Cameron - who was this final's match referee.

Newtonmore continued to dominate and doubled their lead after eight minutes when Steven MacDonald turned and shot past Borthwick.

Kingussie were struggling to make much headway in what was a fairly physical encounter, but Fraser Munro got them back into things with a 30-yard thunderbolt of a drive.

Talismanic forward Ronald Ross was beginning to get involved in the game as Kingussie enjoyed a good spell.

However, MacRae wiped the smiles from Kings' faces with a sweetly-struck shot as half-time approached.

The game opened up in the second half and both sides claimed for penalties as play raged from end to end.

But it was Kings who struck next when Martin Dallas lashed the ball into the roof of the net to narrow the deficit.

'More counterattacked and youngster Ackie MacRae passed up a glorious chance from close range, poking the ball just wide when one-on-one with the keeper.

However, Newtonmore were on the back foot and, with the clock running down, the prolific Ross deflty flicked the ball into the net to level.

Both sets of players appeared tired after what had been a full-blooded encounter, and chances were at a premium in extra time.

But, with the final heading for penalties, MacRae spun and rifled a ferocious shot into the net to end Newtonmore's Camanachd agony.