Newtonmore earn comfortable Camanachd Cup win over Fort William


Danny MacRae rattled in four, including a second half hat-trick, as Newtonmore overwhelmed Fort William 7-0 in the second semi-final of the Camanachd Cup at Bught Park, Inverness.

They will now meet holders Kyles in the final in Fort William on 14 September.

Lovat cashed in on 'More's absence from league play to reduce their lead in the Premiership to three points with a last gasp 3-2 away win over Glenurquhart.

Lochaber extended their unbeaten league run to seven games with a 2-1 success at Inveraray, while Kyles and Kinlochshiel drew 1-1 at Tighnabruich.

Kilmallie clinched the North Division One title with a 4-1 victory over Strathglass at Cannich.

It took Glen MacKintosh just four minutes to get the first breakthrough for Newtonmore against Fort William before Danny MacRae and John MacKenzie made it 3-0 at half time.

There always was the danger of the roof falling in on this young Fort William team and in the second half MacKenzie got his second before MacRae increased his tally to four within a period of just 16 minutes.

So it means that Premiership leaders Newtonmore remain on target for the national treble since they meet Kyles, not only in the Camanachd final, but also the final of the MacAulay Cup in Oban on Saturday 17 August.

Lovat left it late to grab their chance to reel in Newtonmore, albeit at the expense of a second extra game played.

Lorne MacKay eventually sealed a 3-2 away win over Glenurquhart with more or less the last hit of the ball. Glen had been ahead twice through Neale Reid and Lewis MacLennan, but twice Kevin Bartlett and Owen Ferguson equalised before MacKay's late, late winner.

And Lochaber's fine form under new manager Robert Johnstone extended to five wins and two draws with their 2-1 win at Inveraray.

Under Johnstone, Lochaber have risen from relegation candidates to third place. Kevin Ferguson opened just before half time and Lewis MacNicol equalised late on but Shaun Nicholson's winner came with two minutes left.

Kyles' 1-1 draw with Kinlochshiel at Tighnabruich came after David Falconer scored for 'Shiel in advance of Donald Irvine's last minute penalty equaliser.

Michael Rodger got two and Martin Munro and John Stewart one each, while Darren Reid replied for Strathglass as Kilmallie finally clinched the North Division One title.

However there will be no return to the Premiership, which will reduce to eight teams next season with two teams relegated and none promoted.

Bute now only trail Glasgow Mid Argyll on goal difference after the island side's 3-0 victory over Lochside Rovers in Rothesay, while Mid Argyll went down 2-0 to Glenorchy at Dalmally.