Shinty round-up: Kyles go top as Newtonmore slip up

By Charles BannermanBBC Scotland
Lovat (in white) picked up their first league win of the season
Lovat (in white) picked up their first league win of the season

There were celebrations in Argyll when Inveraray scored a 1-0 home win over Marine Harvest Premiership champions Newtonmore.

Oban Camanachd won 2-1 at Kingussie and Kyles went top of the table with a 6-0 defeat of Lochaber at Tighnabruich.

Lovat got their first win of the season, 2-1 at home to Fort William, while in the remaining top flight game, Glenurquhart staged a late comeback to secure a 1-1 draw away to Kinlochshiel.

In the second tier National Division, Kilmallie, 2-1 winners away to Glasgow Mid Argyll and Beauly, who beat Ballachulish 4-0 at home, are both still on 100%.

Newtonmore, in pursuit of sixth successive title, arrived in Inveraray as red hot favourites but Grant Griffin had other ideas and grabbed the game's only goal after 35 minutes.

It looked almost as difficult for newly-promoted Oban Camanachd at Kingussie before Andrew McCuish gave them the lead just after the half hour. Savio Genini equalised early in the second half but Camanachd battled back and Conor Howe scored the winner with 15 minutes left.

It was much plainer sailing for Kyles against Lochaber when Roddy MacDonald raced to a hat-trick inside 13 minutes. David Zavaroni made it 4-0 just before half time and MacDonald got his own fourth after the restart before Robbie MacLeod scored a sixth for Kyles', who are now the only side with a 100% Premiership record.

Lovat's regular scorers Greg Matheson and Kevin Bartlett both found the net against Fort William within two first-half minutes while the gap was narrowed late in the game, through an own goal from Callum Cruden.

At Balmacara, Keith MacRae gave Kinlochshiel an early opener before Fraser Heath scored Glenurquhart's equaliser eight minutes from time. Both sides dropped their first point and are tied in second place behind Kyles.

Kilmallie lead the National Division on goal difference from Beauly after John Stewart and Michael Rodger gave them a 2-0 half time lead away to Glasgow Mid Argyll who replied through Innes MacMillan.

Beauly had Callum Morrison on target twice and Marc MacLachlan and Jack MacDonald once each in their 4-0 defeat of Ballachulish, but this still wasn't enough to overcome Kilmallie's goal advantage.

The other National game was in Portree where, after a goalless first half, Scott MacLean opened for Caberfeidh and Danny Morrison soon equalised for Skye for a 1-1 draw.

And to complete a dream afternoon for the South, for Argyll and for Oban, the town's three lesser teams all also won their matches. In South Division 1 Oban Celtic prevailed 4-1 at Taynuilt while Oban Camanachd's reserves Lochside Rovers had a 5-2 home win over Kilmory.

Meanwhile, in South 2 a brand new team playing under the old name of the long defunct Oban Lorn had its first ever competitive match and defeated Bute 5-0.

Top Stories