Shinty: Lovat knock struggling Kingussie for six, Kyles win again

By Charles BannermanBBC Scotland
Lovat were comfortable winners against Kingussie
Lovat were comfortable winners against Kingussie

Lovat's season sparked into life with the 6-1 Premiership demolition of Kingussie, who slumped to a third consecutive defeat.

Kyles came from behind to stay top of the league and maintain their 100% record with a 3-2 victory over Glenurquhart at Drumnadrochit, while champions Newtonmore remained in touch with a 2-1 success at home to Oban Camanachd.

The other newly promoted side, Fort William, gained their first point with a draw at home to Inveraray but remain bottom after their neighbours Lochaber's goalless struggle with Kinlochshiel at Balmacara.

The encounter at Balgate had a lot at stake for both Lovat and Kingussie since both were desperate to get up and running after indifferent starts.

And it proved to be almost one-way traffic when Lorne MacKay opened with just four minutes gone, although Chris Hollysong briefly had Kingussie level. Ryan Ferguson made it 2-1 to Lovat at half-time, with Kevin Bartlett striking late on followed by two from Greg Matheson and Lewis Tawse completed the rout.

The result lifts Lovat to second in the table with an extra game played while Kingussie sit third bottom with just two points from three games.

Kingussie could have done with legend Ronald Ross who - not for the first time - announced his retirement after the Camanachd Cup in September 2014, since he scored all the goals for their reserve team in a 4-0 victory over their Lovat counterparts at The Dell.

Kyles remain the early pace setters with a third straight league win from their trip to meet Glenurquhart, who opened in the first minute through Neale Reid.

Matthew MacColl and Thomas Whyte soon put Kyles in front but James MacPherson sent the teams in level at half-time. All the second half then produced was Kyles' winner, Whyte's second, with quarter of an hour to go.

Newtonmore, having already dropped points to one Argyll side ensured they did not repeat that misfortune against another, although Oban Camanachd pressed them hard.

A Glen MacKintosh penalty and a goal from Fraser MacKintosh made it 2-0 to Newtonmore before Lorn Dickie made a game of it again just before the hour.

Inveraray, who pulled of that earlier shock defeat of the champions, scored first at Fort William through a Sean Cruckshank own goal. Alexander MacMillan equalised for the home side well before half-time and there it remained.

In the National Division, Beauly failed to take advantage of Kilmallie's cup commitment and a 3-1 defeat away to Glasgow Mid Argyll means that the Inverness-shire side remain in second place. A goal in each half from Craig Anderson provided the backbone of Mid Argyll's success.

In the same league, Inverness still seek their first point after a 3-0 defeat by visitors Skye whose Kenny MacLeod bagged a first-half double.

A 3-2 home win for Kilmallie in their postponed MacTavish Cup first round tie sent them through to a quarter-final against Kinlochshiel. Liam MacDonald grabbed Kilmallie's winner in the second half.

Rearranged first round ties in the Celtic Society Cup produced 4-1 wins for Oban Celtic at home to Kilmory and for Ballachulish away to Strachur while Aberdour progressed 2-0 after their trip to play Taynuilt.

In the clash between the two sides which declined National League membership, Bute went through on penalties after a goalless draw with Glenorchy. The big hitters in this South area championship enter the competition in the next round.

Top Stories