Shinty: Newtonmore go top of Premiership after Inveraray win

By Charles BannermanBBC Scotland
Newtonmore v Inveraray
Newtonmore defeated Inveraray 4-1

Two goals in each half from Glen MacKintosh sent Newtonmore top of the Marine Harvest Premiership with a 4-1 home win over Inveraray.

Newtonmore took advantage of the postponement of the match between fellow contenders Lovat and Kyles to leapfrog them both while Kingussie moved up the table with a late 3-2 defeat of Kinlochshiel at Balmacara, thanks to a hat-trick from Savio Genini.

Glenurquhart also got within sight of the leading group with a 1-0 success over Oban Camanachd in Drumnadrochit.

And in the RBS MacTavish Cup a giant-killing 2-1 victory for Skye over Fort William in Portree means that the island side will now meet Glen in the semi-finals on 16 May.

Following their 1-0 defeat at Inveraray earlier in the season, Newtonmore must have wondered if it was going to happen again on home ground when Chris Crawford scored early for the Argyll side.

MacKintosh soon equalised, but it took until the stroke of half-time for him to give his team the lead.

Two more in the second half settled the issue and Newtonmore now have eight points from five games and top the table on goal difference from Lovat, who have played six with unbeaten Kyles a point behind.

At Balmacara it was also the eventual losers who scored first when Jordan Fraser sank a penalty, which was soon cancelled out by one of the same from Genini.

Calum MacLean put Shiel ahead again in the second half but, after Shiel defender Paul MacRae was sent off, Genini scored again in the 88th minute and completed his hat-trick in stoppage time to snatch victory for Kingussie.

Newtonmore do battle with Inveraray in the Premiership
Newtonmore do battle with Inveraray in the Premiership

They are joined on five points from five games by Glenurquhart whose Fraser Heath scored the only goal of their encounter with Oban Camanachd.

In their MacTavish Cup tie, Kenny Campbell gave National Division Skye an early lead over Premiership side Fort William, whose Ewan Campbell equalised early in the second half. And with extra-time beginning to look likely, Jordan Murchison got the winner for the lower league team.

This confirms Skye as Glenurquhart's semi-final opponents while in the other tie, Newtonmore await the outcome of the remaining quarter-final between Kinlochshiel and Kilmallie.

Meanwhile, Kilmallie fought out a cliff-hanger of a SSE Scottish Hydro Camanachd Cup preliminary round replay with Beauly in Lochaber when Conor Ross put Beauly 2-0 up with quarter-of-an-hour remaining.

Within six minutes it was 2-2 when Ryan Stewart and Michael Rodger both found the net, and extra-time was only avoided when Jack MacDonald won it in the 94th minute for Beauly, who had Ross Forbes sent off.

In the day's only Artemis MacAulay Cup tie, Lee Askew hit a double for home side Oban Celtic, but it was Ballachulish who went through with goals from Scott MacDonald, Davie MacPhee and Grant MacKenzie. Once again the winning side finished with 11 men when Stewart Robertson received a red card.

Glasgow Mid Argyll went top of the National Division with a 4-0 home win over Inverness.

Top Stories