Shinty: Kyles hit 10 past Glenorchy in MacAulay Cup

By Charles BannermanBBC Scotland
Kingussie beat Lochaber 3-2 in the MacAulay Cup
Kingussie beat Lochaber 3-2 in the MacAulay Cup at The Dell

Grant Irvine slammed in seven for Kyles as they annihilated South rivals Glenorchy 10-0 in the first round of the Artemis MacAulay Cup at Tighnabruaich.

This sets up a plum Argyllshire derby quarter-final between Kyles and Inveraray, who edged Glasgow Mid Argyll 1-0 in a much closer tie at The Winterton.

In the North half of the draw, Lovat came from behind to put Fort William out 2-1 and will now go to meet Kingussie who defeated Lochaber 3-2. The three remaining ties will be decided at a later date.

The last place in the semi-finals of the RBS MacTavish Cup goes to Kinlochshiel who beat Kilmallie 2-1 and now meet Newtonmore.

Irvine began the Kyles goal rush after 24 minutes but it was his five second-half strikes, including a hat-trick in just 12 minutes, which took his tally to seven. In between, Thomas Whyte, Gordon Whyte and Matt MacColl all also contributed amid one-way traffic.

In contrast, it took Inveraray 76 minutes for Alan Cameron to get their game's only goal against Glasgow Mid Argyll.

Kingussie looked on easy street when Savio Genini, who opened with a penalty, had them 2-0 up against Lochaber within the first quarter.

However, the visiting side struck back through Ben Delaney before half time and Stuart Callison in the second half in advance of John Gibson's late goal which made it 3-2 Kingussie. Gibson was later sent off in a game which also saw a red card for Lochaber's Kevin Ferguson.

It was looking good for Fort William when Ewen Campbell opened in the first minute at An Aird and they held the lead until half-time. However, the second half had barely begun when Greg Matheson equalised for Lovat who then won the game with a goal from Fraser Gallacher. Martin Mainland was sent off for Lovat.

In the remaining MacTavish quarter-final John MacRae and Fraser MacVicar gave Kinlochshiel a 2-0 lead midway through the first half but there was an exciting final quarter hour to the game after Liam Cameron pulled one back for Kilmallie.

Beauly went top of the Marine Harvest National Division from Glasgow Mid Argyll by a single goal scored when they defeated visitors Inverness 3-1 in their local derby. Matt Rippon got an early goal for Inverness but Sean Stewart equalised just before half time in advance of Jack MacDonald and David MacLean going on to win the game for Beauly.

Skye moved up to third, a point adrift but with a game in hand, with a 2-0 defeat of Caberfeidh in Strathpeffer. Danny Morrison and Allan MacKinnon both scored within the first 20 minutes in advance of a lengthy stalemate.

The highlights of the second round of the Aberdein Considine Sutherland Cup, shinty's reserve championship, were an 8-0 rout for Newtonmore away to Caberfeidh and a 3-2 extra-time victory for Glengarry at home to Beauly.

Calum Stewart got five for Newtonmore while Daniel MacLennan grabbed a 118th-minute winner for Glengarry.

Top Stories