Shinty: Newtonmore end Fort William's Premiership winning run

By Charles BannermanBBC Scotland
Fort William v Newtonmore
Fort William and Newtonmore were evenly matched in this exchange at An Aird but it was leaders More who prevailed 4-2

Fort William's bid to extend their winning run in the Marine Harvest Premiership to five games was stopped by leaders and champions Newtonmore who came out on top 4-2 at An Aird.

Lovat remain second, two points adrift of More, following a 2-0 home win over Oban Camanachd who are still bottom.

Glenurquhart maintained their momentum following their with a 5-1 league win over Kinlochshiel at Drumnadrochit.

Lochaber edged it 2-1 in Kingussie.

All the scoring at the Dell came in the second half with Kevin Ferguson and Shaun Nicholson giving Lochaber a 2-0 lead in their aim to move further clear of the relegation zone, though Savio Genini got one back for Kingussie.

A 3-2 home victory for Inveraray over Argyllshire rivals and 2013 winners Kyles sent them through to the South semi-final of the Artemis MacAulay Cup where they will now meet Oban Camanachd.

Fort William's quest for five in a row started well in the familiar form of an early goal, this time from Gordie MacKinnon in the first minute.

However, Newtonmore, eager to atone for their MacTavish Cup final defeat, stormed back and went ahead through Glen MacKintosh and Fraser MacKintosh. Conor Jones and Chris Sellar also added one each before a late response from Fort William's Daniel Stewart made the final score 4-2.

Lovat remained in pursuit of the champions after Greg Matheson in the first half and Fraser Gallacher in the second gave them a 2-0 success over Oban Camanachd in Kiltarlity.

At Blairbeg Park, Ewan Brady put Glenurquhart ahead and Shiel's Ali Nixon equalised. Then it was one-way traffic when the MacTavish Cup winners asserted themselves to secure two league points.

Brady got his second in between goals from Neale Reid and Fraser Heath, all within three minutes late in the first half. Eddie Tembo then made the final score 5-1 to Glenurquhart with a late strike.

In the MacAulay tie, Kyles started as favourites but Chris Crawford opened for Inveraray after just 10 minutes. Roddy MacDonald soon equalised although David Robertson equally quickly put Inveraray ahead again. There was also a goal and a quick response in the second half with Euan McMurdo briefly making it 3-1 before Gordon Whyte got another back for Kyles.

Will Cowie and Jordan Nicholson got four each as Skye put Ballachulish to the sword 12-0 in the National Division in Portree. Skye went second while, with five games played, Ballachulish still seek their first point having conceded 33 goals and scored just one.

The Balliemore Cup tie between Kilmallie and Beauly went to extra time where Marc MacLachlan and David MacLean scored in the first period to pave the way for a 4-3 victory for the visitors from Beauly. Glasgow Mid Argyll won 3-0 in Inverness in the other Balliemore tie.