Shinty: Lovat and Fort William draw in Camanachd Cup

By Charles BannermanBBC Scotland
Fort William and Lovat shared four goals in their Camanachd Cup quarter-final
Fort William and Lovat shared four goals in their Camanachd Cup quarter-final

Lovat and Fort William will have to meet again to settle their SSE Scottish Hydro Camanachd Cup quarter-final after a 2-2 draw in Kiltarlity.

In the other all-Premiership encounter, Newtonmore become the first team into the semi-final draw when they beat Oban Camanachd 3-1 in the early throw-up.

Kyles were 5-1 winners over lower league side Skye at Tighnabruaich.

In Yoker, Premiership side Inveraray progressed 3-1 against Glasgow Mid Argyll of the National Division.

At Kiltarlity, Kevin Bartlett drew first blood for Lovat before Gordie MacKinnon's equaliser and Lewis Tawse put the home side ahead again just before half-time.

Fort William, who have won the cup five times in the last 10 years but are currently regrouping, looked up against it, a goal down and into a strong wind in the second half.

But after just five minutes, Duncan Rodger pounced for a vital equaliser and the deadlock remained until the end of an increasingly frantic encounter.

The length of the Premiership separates Newtonmore and Oban Camanachd but in this cup tie, Camanachd still managed to get the better of a goalless first half.

However, on the hour Newtonmore grabbed two in as many minutes from Glen MacKintosh and Cameron Binnie. After a further two minutes Malcolm Clark struck back for Camanachd and it was only when MacKintosh got his second nine minutes from time that Newtonmore could breathe a little more easily.

It was largely one-way traffic at Tighnabruaich where Roddy MacDonald got the first of his four for Kyles in the opening minute. Dunky Kerr also made an early contribution and Will Cowie got a final consolation for Skye.

Fraser Watt and Gary MacPherson put Inveraray 2-0 up at Yoker before Mid Argyll's Mark Bain replied with a penalty. Lewis MacNicol and Neil Shaw then put the game in the bag for Inveraray in the second half.

The semi-final draw takes place on Monday 13 July at the Scottish Football Museum at Hampden Park, where a section will be given over to shinty for a six-month period from October.

In the Marine Harvest Premiership, a 5-1 home win for Lochaber over Kinlochshiel has left the two sides tied on 13 points from 12 games, behind leaders Newtonmore who have 16 from nine.

Findlay MacDonald scored in the first minute for Lochaber and Oliver MacRae equalised in the 12th. And there it stayed until early in the second half when Pat Toal put Lochaber ahead again and MacDonald completed his hat-trick, his last a penalty, with goals on either side of one from Stuart Callison.

Glenurquhart remain unbeaten since their MacTavish Cup win on 13 June and extended that run to four games with their second defeat of Kingussie in a week. This time it was 3-1 in Drumnadrochit where their goals came from Ewan Brady, Fraser Heath and Neale Reid before Chris Hollysong pulled on back for Kingussie late on.

Glen's win sends them into the top half of the table while Kingussie remain five points above the relegation zone but with two more games played.

Kilmallie went a point clear in the National Division with a 4-1 home win over Inverness in their game in hand. Beauly won 4-0 at Ballachulish.