Shinty: Newtonmore hit back to knock Kingussie out of MacAulay Cup

By Charles BannermanBBC Scotland
Newtonmore came from behind to progress in the MacAulay Cup
Newtonmore came from behind to progress in the MacAulay Cup

Holders Newtonmore survived an early setback before eliminating local rivals Kingussie 2-1 in the first round of the Artemis MacAulay Cup at the Dell.

Fort William's difficulties continued when they slumped 7-1 away to Kinlochshiel despite scoring first.

Two other ties also produced eight goals as Kyles eclipsed visitors Aberdour from two leagues below them 8-0 and it was 5-3 for home side Lovat over Lochaber.

There was a shock at Mossfield Park where recent Premiership leaders Oban Camanachd lost 3-2 to recently relegated Inveraray while in the only all-lower league tie, Bute edged Oban Celtic 2-0 on penalties after a 1-1 draw.

The Marine Harvest National Division has a new leader following Beauly's 6-1 home win over Inverness. Another of four teams on six points is Kilmallie, who beat Caberfeidh 2-0.

Chris Hollysong's goal in the first quarter of the Badenoch derby had statisticians rushing to check when Kingussie last defeated their local rivals.

However, there was to be no repeat of the home side's success of August 2014 after Newtonmore responded twice before the half hour through Evan Menzies and Chris Sellar.

When Daniel Stewart opened the scoring at Balmacara, Fort William must have hoped that the problems which also see them still seeking their first league points were coming to an end.

But Kinlochshiel came storming back with two in each half from Duncan MacRae, one on either side of the interval from John MacRae and a second half goal from Jordan Fraser.

Sandy MacKenzie led the way with a first half hat-trick for Kyles as they put their lower league opponents to the sword. Dunky Kerr scored two and there was one each for Thomas Whyte, Innes MacDonald and Roddy MacDonald.

Greg Matheson completed a hat-trick a minute into the second half to put Lovat 3-0 up and his third began a rush of two goals for each side within seven minutes. Ben Delaney quickly got one back for Lochaber, Graeme MacMillan made it 4-1 and Delaney's second narrowed the margin once more.

The sides still had a further goal apiece to trade when Lorne MacKay got Lovat's fifth and Danny Delaney reduced the margin to two for the third time in the game.

Oban Camanachd started as favourites in the Argyllshire derby and Willie Neilson put them ahead after just three minutes.

However, Fraser Watt responded almost immediately and Lewis Montgomery gave Inveraray the lead. Camanachd equalised with Neilson's second before Alan MacDonald won it for Inveraray with the only goal of the second half.

On Bute, Daniel Madej opened for Oban Celtic after all of 77 minutes but Scott Harvey still found time for a late equaliser to set up a goalless extra time and Bute's 2-0 penalties victory.

Jack MacDonald scored four and Calum Morrison two for new National Division leaders Beauly. Charlie MacDonald briefly had Inverness level while Bryan MacKay and Liam MacDonald sealed it for Kilmallie against Caberfeidh.

Beauly and Kilmallie go to six points alongside Glasgow Mid Argyll and Inveraray who were already there in a tight race for promotion to the top flight.