MacTavish Cup final: Newtonmore beat Lochaber 2-1 with late winner

By Charles BannermanBBC Scotland
Newtonmore's Glen MacKintosh celebrates his winning goal
Newtonmore's Glen MacKintosh celebrates his winning goal

Newtonmore left it late to clinch the first silverware of the shinty season as Glen MacKintosh snatched victory in the MacTavish Cup final over Lochaber with the last hit of the game.

Norman Campbell put the favourites ahead after 26 minutes at Bught Park in Inverness but Zands Ferguson brought the underdogs level five minutes later.

As the game entered the sixth minute of injury time, MacKintosh, who had twice hit the woodwork, pounced to win it.

It was Newtonmore's first MacTavish Cup win since 2012, and their 40th overall.

Lochaber started well but Newtonmore soon began to assert themselves with a number of goal attempts, while at the other end Stuart Callison shot over for the underdogs.

Campbell, still wearing a heavy knee support after recent surgery, grabbed the opener as the full forward glided through the defence from left of centre to drill home from 20 yards.

But Newtonmore's advantage was short lived as Ferguson cracked in the equaliser at head height.

Lochaber goalkeeper Calum Macdonald saves from Glen Mackintosh of Newtonmore
Lochaber goalkeeper Calum Macdonald made a string of saves to earn the man-of-the-match award

The game then developed into long periods of pressure from Newtonmore, camped in their opponents' half but failing to hit the target, punctuated by dangerous counter-attacks from Lochaber.

As the favourites' frustration grew, their frequent goal attempts became increasingly desperate, MacKintosh hitting the woodwork on the hour.

Three injuries meant extended stoppage time which had just begun when MacKintosh hit the bar again.

But with extra time looking inevitable, he finally squeezed the ball into the net past the right post to bring the Badenoch side the trophy - and the North area title - for the first time since 2012.


Elsewhere, Kinlochshiel swamped Caberfeidh 6-0 to reach the last eight of the Camanachd Cup, with two goals from Keith MacRae, two including a penalty from his brother John and further strikes from Duncan Ach and Jordan Fraser.

Oban Camanachd edged Kyles 1-0 via Daniel Cameron's winner to move third in the Marine Harvest Premiership, where Lovat compounded Glenurquhart's misery with a 5-2 scoreline.

The game at Drumnadrochit was held up for 40 minutes after Lovat's Craig Mainland broke a shoulder.

But Kevin Bartlett and Calum MacAulay both scored twice as Lovat deepened the relegation worries of their local rivals.

Lewis Montgomery's extra-time winner put Inveraray through to the south semi final of the Artemis MacAulay Cup with a 3-2 victory over Bute, while four players scored twice apiece as Glasgow Mid Argyll swept Ballachulish aside 8-0 in the first round at Yoker.

Top Stories