Shinty: Champions Newtonmore lose first match in two years

Kingussie beat Glenurquhart
Kingussie beat Glenurquhart 2-0, as rivals Newtonmore lost thier first match in two years

Newtonmore suffered their first league defeat in exactly two years when they went down 2-1 to Oban Camanachd at Mossfield Park.

The seven-time Marine Harvest Premiership champions had not lost since the corresponding third week of the 2015 season, when they were defeated by Inveraray, who would eventually be relegated.

After the opening three games of the campaign, More now have only a 50% record and sit in fourth place, two points behind local rivals Kingussie, who won 2-0 at home to Glenurquhart.

In the only other Premiership game to survive the weather, Lovat collected their first points with a 4-2 win at Balgate over newly-promoted Kilmallie.

Skye went top of the National Division with a 3-1 away win over Oban Celtic.

Andrew McCuish got Oban Camanachd's opener after 18 minutes, then Lorn Dickie made it 2-0 before the half-hour. And it remained that way until midway through the second half, when Newtonmore talisman Glen MacKintosh pulled one back.

This was as much as the champions could muster, with a Andy MacKintosh red card hindering their cause. Newtonmore have now dropped three points in their first three games, compared with just four during the previous two complete seasons.

Unbeaten Kingussie and Glenurquhart met at The Dell, and it looked as both sides would preserve their successful starts to the season when the game entered its final quarter still goalless.

However, Ryan Borthwick and Roddy Young got the goals which sent Kingussie, who were in a relegation play-off two seasons ago, to the top of the table.

In Kiltarlity, Kilmallie looked to be on easy street Ryan Stewart, then Mark Graham gave the Lochaber side a 2-0 lead over Lovat. But Graham's strike seemed to galvanise their opponents, and Greg Matheson had them level within six minutes before Lorne MacKay put the home club ahead before half time.

MacKay's second, midway through the second period, then put the game beyond Kilmallie and prevented Lovat from suffering a third straight defeat.

Skye took advantage of being in the only National Division game to survive waterlogging, going top of the table with their 3-1 success over newcomers Oban Celtic.

An Iain MacLellan hat-trick which included a first-half double did the trick for Skye, while Celtic's consolation from Neil Carmichael came too late at 3-0.

Top Stories