MacTavish Cup: Glenurquhart, Lovat, Kinlochshiel, Caberfeidh reach quarters

Glenurquhart beat Lochaber
Glenurquhart knocked out last year's runners-up Lochaber to reach the MacTavish Cup quarter-finals

A six-minute goal spree at the start of the second half sealed 2015 winners Glenurquhart's place in the quarter-finals of the MacTavish Cup with a 3-1 home win over Lochaber.

Up the hill at Cannich, Lovat disposed of lower league local rivals Strathglass 9-2.

Kinlochshiel continued their good start to the season with a late 3-2 victory over Kingussie and Caberfeidh beat Skye by the same scoreline in the all-National Division tie.

Oban Camanachd missed the chance to go top of the Marine Harvest Premiership when they lost 4-3 to Kyles at Mossfield Park.

In the other Premiership game, Glasgow Mid Argyll got their first points of the season with a 2-1 win at Kilmallie.

At Drumnadrociht, a close and goalless first half gave way to an action-packed restart that produced Neale Reid's opener after just 37 seconds.

A little over four minutes later, Calum Smith made it 2-0 before another quick response from Reid, who got Glen's third after a further 42 seconds.

The pace then subsided again, although Shaun Nicholson pulled one back for Lochaber.

This also denied Glenurquhart club president Gary MacKintosh, who has been standing in for their injured international goalkeeper Stuart MacKintosh, a first clean sheet.

Lovat were far too strong for Strathglass and, eight minutes into the game, Graeme MacMillan had already netted a hat-trick.

Greg Matheson then contributed two of his eventual four in advance of MacMillan grabbing his own fourth to make it 6-0.

Ross Balharry got the first of Strathglass's consolations for a half time score of 6-1.

After the restart, Lorne MacKay scored before Matheson completed his quartet, while Michael Stokes added the home side's second.

Kingussie opened at Balmacara through Roddy Young, but Jordan Fraser and, four minutes into stoppage time, Scott MacLean gave Kinlochshiel a half-time lead.

Martin Dallas drew Kingussie level and Keith MacRae's injury-time winner for Shiel prevented extra time.

At Strathpeffer, Caberfeidh raced into a 3-0 lead in the first quarter when two for Scotland's top international scorer Kevin Bartlett bracketed one from Ben MacDonald.

James Pringle made it 3-1 at half-time, but Skye could get no closer to earning extra time than Jordan Murchison's strike early in the second half.

Oban squander chance to top Premiership

Oban Camanachd had a flying start to their bid to go top of the Premiership when Conor Howe gave them a first-minute lead.

Grant Irvine equalised and Cammy Keith put Kyles ahead briefly before Matt Ripon struck for Camanachd.

Howe's second goal on the hour put Camanachd in front again, but Roddy MacDonald scored the game's third equaliser for Kyles before Gordon Whyte's late winner.

Duncan Rodger opened for Kilmallie in the first half against their Mid Argyll visitors, but goals from Gary Luke and Craig Anderson took both points back to Glasgow.

Inverness got their first point in the National Division with a 1-1 draw at Inveraray.

Top Stories