Camanachd Cup: Skye stun Kingussie as Kilmallie taste derby victory

Kilmallie beat Lochaber
Kilmallie overcame Stephen McAllister's dismissal to beat rivals Lochaber

Skye produced the shock of the first round proper of the Camanachd Cup when the lower league side eliminated Kingussie 2-1 in Portree.

An even bigger surprise was on the cards - albeit fleetingly - when another second-tier side, Fort William, scored first against Newtonmore but the holders quickly struck back to progress 3-1.

Kilmallie ousted Lochaber 5-3 in their local derby and Kyles swamped Glasgow Mid Argyll 7-0. Four more Premiership sides will have to wait for the outcomes of replays after Glenurquhart and Lovat ended 1-1 and it finished goalless between 11-man Kinlochshiel and Oban Camanachd.

In the two all-lower league ties, Inveraray defeated Caberfeidh 5-3 and Strathglass edged Kilmory 2-1.

In Portree, Jordan Murchison had Skye ahead after just three minutes and Will Cowie quickly made it 2-0. For a full hour, Kingussie failed to make any impression on the island's defence until Savio Genini pulled one back with a penalty.

At An Aird, Fort William made a surprise breakthrough just before half-time through Graham Campbell, although Steven MacDonald still managed to send the teams in level at the break with a penalty.

Fraser MacKintosh gave Newtonmore the lead soon after the restart and Glen MacKintosh sealed the holders' progress in the final 15 minutes.

Kilmallie rushed to a 4-0 half-time lead with two from Craig MacIsaac and one each from Michael Rodger and Duncan Rodger. Lochaber staged a fight-back with goals from Connor Sweeney and Neil MacDonald, before Duncan Rodger completed his double very late on, and Stuart Callison got Lochaber's third even later.

Kilmallie survived to seal their progression despite a red card for Stephen MacAllister.

There was one-way traffic at Tighnabruich as Gordon Whyte, Scott MacDonald and Roddy MacDonald all scored for Kyles in the first half, while in the second, Roddy MacDonald completed his double and Thomas Whyte grabbed a brace for himself while Robbie MacLeod rounded it off, without reply from Glasgow Mid Argyll.

After a goalless first half at Drumnadrochit, former Caley Thistle, Ross County and Motherwell goalkeeper Michael Fraser opened for Glenurquhart. Lovat equalised when Glen's international keeper Stuart MacKintosh, in just his second game back after a long injury, was judged to have kicked the ball and Greg Matheson converted the resulting penalty.

Allan MacDonald and Fraser Watt both scored doubles and Lewis MacNicol got one for Inveraray while Craig Morrison made Caberfeidh's only response.

Alister MacArthur opened for Kilmory at Cannich before Josh Fraser and Donald Fraser ensured that Strathglass are one of three lower league teams in the quarter-final draw in Inverness on Monday.

Top Stories