British number one Andy Murray into Queen's last eight

By Piers NewberyBBC Sport at Queen's

Andy Murray came through another test of his suspect ankle and of his grass-court sharpness with victory against Janko Tipsarevic at the Aegon Championships.

The British number one was interrupted by rain for the second day in succession but saw off 14th seed Tipsarevic 6-4 7-6 (7-3) to reach the quarter-finals, where he will face Marin Cilic or Thomaz Belucci.

Murray had said after Wednesday's opening win against Xavier Malisse that the partial tear to a tendon in his right ankle - suffered at the French Open last week - had not completely healed, but there was no obvious sign of discomfort against Tipsarevic.

The Serbian had given Murray problems in the past, winning their first meeting on the same Queen's Club Centre Court five years ago, and shared a 3-3 record against the world number four.

The chilly conditions presented another obstacle, and they played their part in the opening set, after Murray recovered from dropping serve in the opening game to level at 3-3, when Tipsarevic played a poor service game.

With Murray leading 5-4 after half an hour, the rain forced play to halt for almost an hour before the players returned to a markedly colder and windier Centre Court.

Tipsarevic failed to adjust quickly enough on the resumption, sending a smash long to offer up a break point and then finding the tramlines with a forehand, but he was not about to go quietly.

In a repeat of the opening set, the Serbian broke at the start of the second with a fizzing forehand onto the line and saved two break points to stop Murray levelling at 3-3 once again, leaving the Scot increasingly frustrated.

But while his mood darkened, Murray's tennis improved and a more aggressive approach got him the break back at 4-4 as he pressured the Tipsarevic serve.

It came down to a tie-break and the world number four's class told as the sun finally began to shine in west London.

Murray got the mini-break at 3-1 when a pass sent Tipsarevic hurling himself at the net in vain, and a thunderous forehand took the Scot 5-1 clear at the changeover before a return sealed victory after two hours and five minutes

"I thought it was a high-quality match," Murray told BBC Sport. "We both played very well, especially at the end of the second set. There were a lot of long rallies and it was a really good test.

"I fell down a couple of times [but] luckily the ankle's fine, it's the best it's felt."

Top Stories