Wimbledon 2011: Andy Murray beats Gasquet in three sets

By Piers NewberyBBC Sport at Wimbledon

Andy Murray powered past Richard Gasquet on a scorching hot afternoon to reach the quarter-finals at Wimbledon.

The Briton took advantage of glorious conditions and being scheduled first on Centre Court to win 7-6 (7-3) 6-3 6-2 and move swiftly into the last eight.

Murray took a tight opening set in a tie-break and broke late in the second, winning in just over two hours.

He will play unseeded Feliciano Lopez next, after the Spaniard came back from two sets down to beat Lukasz Kubot.

The history between Murray and Gasquet weighed heavily going into Monday's fourth-round match, with the Scot having come back from two sets and a break down in their last two encounters at the 2010 French Open and, famously, Wimbledon in 2008.

Murray made a slow start once again, having to save a break point in his opening service game and twice choosing not to use Hawk-Eye when it would have been to his benefit, but this time he stayed in touch.

There were several examples of the flashing Gasquet backhand that is a match for any shot in the game but Murray battled his way through to a tie-break, despite the Frenchman having the edge in all the key statistics.

Murray's less elegant but equally effective backhand gave him a 3-1 lead before a poor error allowed Gasquet back in at 4-3 down, and the rally that followed was crucial - Murray flirting with danger by playing repeatedly to the Frenchman's stronger side before switching and drawing a forehand error.

The fourth seed duly converted his first set point with a gentle volley into the open court and had a chance to move ahead at the start of the second, just missing with a backhand cross-court pass.

Murray was now holding his own serve more comfortably and began turning the screw on Gasquet, with the 17th seed finally cracking in game eight and sending a backhand long after Murray had earned the break point with a rasping cross-court pass.

It was now Gasquet who faced the task of recovering a two-set deficit, and that never seemed likely.

Murray grabbed the decisive break with his best return game of the match, whipping two vicious cross-court forehands to go 3-2 up in the third and, with his confidence now soaring, broke once again as he stormed to the finish line.

"I thought it was good," Murray told BBC Sport. "I think I served well, got a lot of free points off that. Conditions were very warm today so if you can get in front of your opponent you're in good shape.

"I made quite a lot of good passing shots in the end and I did well to come through. I need to improve - the best players ever are still in the tournament, so I need to get even better."