Andy Murray eases past Jeremy Chardy at Paris Masters

Andy Murray
His victory over Chardy was Murray's 55th of 2011

Andy Murray cruised through to the last 16 of the Paris Masters with a comfortable 6-2 6-4 victory over Frenchman Jeremy Chardy.

Murray won the opening four games of the match on his way to taking the first set in just 35 minutes.

The Scot broke in the fifth game of the second and served out for the win despite Chardy finding his range.

Victory takes Murray's winning streak to 17 matches and he will face Andy Roddick for a place in the last eight.

"I felt OK, I felt maybe my legs were not as strong and I did not move as well as I can do," said Murray, who withdrew from the Swiss Indoors event at the start of the month with a leg injury.

"But I played pretty well for the most part. I played a relatively solid match and you need to do that against him."

The chances of world number three Murray extending his run of form to a fourth successive title, after wins in Bangkok, and Shanghai, have been strengthened by the problems afflicting the two players ahead of him the world rankings.

World number two Rafael Nadal while top seed Novak Djokovic is struggling to shake off a persistent shoulder injury.

Chardy began the year in the world's top 50 but has since slipped to 110th in the world and he rarely looked like registering his first victory over Murray in their fourth meeting at senior level.

Murray claimed the first four games of the match as his opponent struggled to find either the consistency or accuracy to match the power of his forehand.

The home crowd were given more to cheer in the second set as Chardy settled into a rhythm on the arena's slow surface.

Chardy held his first two service games of the set but he surrendered his third after Murray had stolen into a 0-30 lead to crank up the pressure.

His best chance to recover the break came in the eighth.

Trailing 4-3, the 24-year-old forced his way to deuce for the first time on Murray's serve but fluffed a chance to earn break point, finding the net after chasing down a Murray drop-shot.

Murray, who was rarely required to venture on to the offensive during the match, closed out the contest in 79 minutes.

""He is playing at a higher level. He's playing the right shots. He's everywhere," said Chardy of his in-form opponent.

Top Stories