Queen's: Feliciano Lopez to face Gilles Simon in final

Feliciano Lopez
Feliciano Lopez won the Queen's title in 2017

Feliciano Lopez and Gilles Simon - who have a combined age of 71 - will meet in the final at Queen's on Sunday after three-set wins in their semi-finals.

Lopez, who played twice more on Saturday to reach the doubles final with Andy Murray, beat teen Felix Auger-Aliassime 6-7 (7-3) 6-3 6-4.

Frenchman Simon, 34, reached his first final of the season by beating fourth seed Daniil Medvedev 6-7 (4-7) 6-4 6-3.

Lopez, 37, is appearing in his first final since winning Queen's in 2017.

"I'm so happy, I can't believe I'm in the final here again. It's crazy how we old guys can still perform well," said the Spaniard, who spent nearly five hours on court on Saturday.

"I feel very lucky to still be competitive at this stage of my career. I would never have imagined I could reach the final of Queen's at 37 years old."

Lopez plays three matches in one day - and reaches two finals

Lopez headed back on court just 12 minutes after his victory to resume a doubles quarter-final alongside Britain's Murray, beating Dan Evans and Ken Skupski, before overcoming third seeds Henri Kontinen and John Peers in the semi-final.

"Of course I'm tired," Lopez said after the doubles semi-final.

"I've been playing a lot this week. I haven't played much because I was injured. I haven't played three matches in a row in six months. My body feels sore but I'm ready for tomorrow."

He had trailed promising Canadian 18-year-old Auger-Aliassime in a meeting that featured the largest age gap in an ATP semi-final since 1977.

Auger-Aliassime, seeking to reach his fourth final of the year, had not lost a service game all week and delivered 14 aces on his way to taking the opening set.

But Lopez got the breakthrough to go 2-0 up in the second set when the youngster hit a forehand long and went on to force a decider, and then broke again in the fifth game of the third to set himself on the way to victory.

Another long match for Simon

World number 38 Simon has also spent a lot of time on court here, playing the longest Queen's match since records began when he beat Nicolas Mahut in the quarter-finals in three hours and 20 minutes on Friday.

And the 34-year-old needed another two hours and 39 minutes to come from behind to beat Russia's Medvedev, who was the highest-ranked player left in the draw.

"It was hard to recover for this one," said Simon.

"It was tough until the end with long rallies. It was a tough match. But you relax a bit when you're really tired and you've played a long match."

Simon could now become the first Frenchman to claim the Queen's title.

Medvedev, at a career-high 13 in the world rankings, was the first Russian to reach the semi-finals of the tournament in the professional era.

The 23-year-old appeared to struggle with injury throughout the match, icing his shoulder during changeovers several times and holding his back in pain.

Top Stories