Australian Open 2020: Britain's Harriet Dart reaches third round of qualifying
|2020 Australian Open|
|Venue: Melbourne Park Dates: 20 January to 2 February|
|Coverage: Listen on BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra and online; Live text on selected matches on the BBC Sport website and app.|
British number three Harriet Dart reached the third round of Australian Open qualifying with a straight-set win over American Nicole Gibbs.
The 23-year-old world number 169 won 6-2 6-3 and faces Italy's Giulia Gatto-Monticone for a place in the main draw.
However, fellow Briton Samantha Murray Sharan, 32, lost 2-6 6-4 6-4 in the opening round to China's Yue Yuan.
Canada's Eugenie Bouchard also reached the third round with a 6-3 6-1 victory over Australia's Maddison Inglis.
The former Australian Open semi-finalist will play Italian Martina Trevisan next.
In the men's draw, Belgian Steve Darcis played the final match of his career in a first-round defeat.
The 35-year-old, who beat Rafael Nadal in the 2013 Wimbledon first round, lost 7-5 7-5 to France's Elliot Benchetrit.
"A wonderful page in my life turns," said Darcis on Twitter following his exit.
"Thank you all for your support and thank you also to those who by demolishing me made me stronger."
- Teenager Gauff draws Williams again
- 'The tournament will happen' - Australian Open to go ahead, says Tiley
- 'It boils my blood': GB's Broady furious about air quality email
- Can Williams win elusive 24th Grand Slam? Australian Open preview
- Live scores, schedule and results
- Alerts: Get tennis news sent to your phone