Ashes 2015: England are in a mess says ex-bowler Simon Jones
England will "get hammered" in the Ashes series against Australia, says ex-Glamorgan fast bowler Simon Jones.
Paul Farbrace will be in temporary charge for the Tests with New Zealand, beginning on Thursday at Lord's, after coach Peter Moores was sacked.
The Ashes start at Cardiff's Swalec Stadium on 8 July.
"Where we are at the moment is not a good place - it's a mess," said 36-year-old Jones, who played in England's Ashes-winning 2005 side.
"We have a lot of talent but if you haven't got guidance then you've got nothing.
"I played in a team where we had both guidance and talent and that's not there."
The most recent Ashes series in 2013-2014 saw England suffer a 5-0 whitewash in Australia.
Moores was sacked as England coach following a dismal World Cup and the drawn Test series with West Indies which ended earlier this month.
Jones expects a difficult summer starting with the two-Test series against New Zealand and describes the current England set-up as "shambolic".
He added: "New Zealand are going to be a very, very tough team to beat.
"But then we've got the Aussies, who are even better. I think we've got a really tough summer ahead and I can't see us coping with it."